Smarter Lunchrooms Louisiana
What is Smarter Lunchrooms Louisiana (SLL)?
SLL will launch in February 2017 with a statewide training of school health and child nutrition professionals. The goal is to use research-based evidence to design lunchroom environments that help children choose healthier options. The mission is to provide Louisiana schools with low cost, sustainable tools that improve child eating behaviors and the overall health of our state’s children.
The 6 Smarter Lunchroom Principles
- Manage Portion Sizes
- Increase Convenience
- Improve Visibility
- Enhance Taste Expectations
- Use Suggestive Language
- Set Smart Pricing Strategies
Core Values of Smarter Lunchrooms
- Low Cost/No Cost Solutions
- Lunchroom Environment Focus
- Promotion of Healthful Eating Behaviors
Does It Really Work?
All of the Best Practices and lunchroom solutions that the Smarter Lunchrooms Movement endorses have been studied and proven effective in a wide variety of schools across the nation. The Cornell Center for Behavioral Economics in Child Nutrition Programs (B.E.N. Center) applies experimental research from the Cornell Food & Brand Lab to school lunchrooms. Here are some quick take-aways from the B.E.N. Center research:
- Moving and highlighting fruit increased sales of fruit by up to 102%.
- Naming vegetables and displaying the new names with the foods increased selection of vegetables from between 40% - 70%.
- Placing white milk first in the lunchroom coolers has resulted in an increase of up to 46% in white milk sales.
- The first highlighted entrée on the lunch line has an 11% advantage over the second option.
- The number of students consuming “healthy items” increased by 35% after the introduction of a “healthy choices only” convenience line.
- There is more! Research is an ongoing process and there is a great deal of related published research available from the Cornell Food and Brand Lab!
In an effort to reach out and provide resources to schools across the nation, the Smarter Lunchrooms Movement has assembled a set of Best Practices which are effective at creating an environment that nudges kids toward healthful choices. These Best Practices are solution based principles which focus on specific aspects of the school meal. Here are some ideas to help you get started:
- How Will Your School Benefit?
- Success Stories
Want More Information?
Take the Online 2 Hour Training Module and Learn About the 2017 In-Person Symposium:
How to Get Involved
- Getting Started Guides
- Looking to train your staff, but don't have time? Check out No Time to Train: A Year of 10-Minute Workshops for Lunchroom Staff.
- Healthy Food Choices in Schools 30-Minute Webinar Series
- Free, Interactive, 2-hour Smarter Lunchrooms Online Training at Cornell University
- See Smarter Lunchrooms in action in these 2 short videos - Lunch'd: Part One and Lunch'd: Part Two.
- Michigan's Smarter Lunchroom Moves YouTube Videos - 20 useful, one-minute video clips showing real schools using Smarter Lunchrooms.
- Smarter Lunchrooms Movement
- Smarter Lunchrooms Self-Assessment - 100 evidenced based strategies to nudge healthy choices.
- Professional Standards for School Nutrition Professionals
- Download the PDF
Download the Web App!
The Smarter Lunchrooms Scorecard is a quick and easy way to evaluate your lunchroom and help set goals for improvement…now it’s gotten easier with the app LunchScore! The app automates the scorecard process, allows you to take pictures to document your progress as well as tracks your results over time. Watch the recording by Kathryn Hoy, MFN, RD, CDN, the Manager of the Cornell Center for Behavioral Economics in Child Nutrition Programs, to learn about this great tool!The Smarter Lunchrooms App Is Also Available At: Helpful Tools for the App:
- Plate Waste Summary Template