In 2005, the Louisiana Legislature passed Senate Bill No. 146, Act No. 331, which limited the sale of certain foods and beverages in public
elementary and secondary schools during specified time periods. In 2009, RS 17:197.1
provided additional restrictions to beverages and additional items sold in schools. RS 17:197.1 was amended and reenacted in 2018 as HB616, Act 330.
Shortly after the passage of the first bill in 2005, Pennington Biomedical Research Center developed an approved listing of foods meeting the criteria listed in these bills. In July 2014, the USDA Smart Snacks in Schools
set additional requirements in place and Louisiana incorporated those additional requirements. The result was even stricter standards. HB616, Act 330 passed in May 2018 requires food and beverages sold by public
elementary or secondary schools to adhere to Federal Guidelines set by USDA.
In short, the main nutritional components include:
- 200 calories or less
- 35% of total calories from fat or less
- 10% of total calories from saturated fat or less
- The weight of all sugars must be < 35% of the serving size weight
- 200 mg of sodium or less per serving
- If a grain product, must be whole grain
The Louisiana Smart Snacks Listing was developed based on requested products sent in for evaluation and in no way represents every food available that potentially fits the criteria above. Individuals who have requested products for evaluation include school food authorities, vendors, and other school officials or representatives. Please note the following concerning the Louisiana Smart Snacks listing:
- Again, the listing represents only those products that have been sent to Pennington Biomedical Research Center for evaluation.
- Some items may be available in the commercial market; however some others may be manufactured and marketed specifically for school use.
- Pennington Biomedical Research Center does not endorse either the product listed or the manufacturer of the product. The mission of the Pennington Biomedical Research Center in this effort is strictly to evaluate whether or not the food item is in compliance with the recommended guidelines above.
To submit a product for evaluation and possible acceptance into the approved listing, send appropriate descriptive (ingredient listing) and serving size information along with the Nutrition Facts label (picture of front and back of package, if possible; or a website link to the product with the information required) to LouisianaFitKids@pbrc.eduLouisianaFitKids@pbrc.edu